Sunday, August 28, 2022

Sunday Music Muse Day - Joe Lovano & Dave Douglas, Fred Hersch & the WDR Big Band with Vince Mendoza.

This Sunday Music Muse Day finds me stretching concepts of art and music to make a connection to one of my choices. First up, Joe Lovano & Dave Douglas, Other Worlds.  It was the comic book like art on the CD that caught my interest at once. I've heard of saxophonist Joe Lovano from his work as a co-leader and sideman on other CDs I have.  So, Other Worlds was worth a try.  Again, the art reminded me of my idol, Jack Kirby, the late legendary comic artist, and creator of so many Marvel, and DC comic characters.  Today would have be Jack Kirby's 195th birthday,  Many comic book nerd friend, and myself,  have been posting tributes to him, all day. The music is Post Bop and adventurous. Well worth a listen.  The cover art was done by Dave Chisholm, a Rochester artist, who has done several graphic novels focusing on jazz musicians.   Ads for them pop up in my Facebook feed, often. 




My next selection, Fred Hersch & the WDR Gig Band, Begin Again, arranged and conducted by Vince Mendoza, was also more a pick for the CD graphic, more than the musicians.  Although, I had seen Fred Hersch name before, I could say I remember the musical context.  Plus, I've heard of the WDR Big Band. The bigger draw for me was Vince Mendoza who I know from an ECM CD with John Abercrombie, Animato, also Mendoza has written tunes played by the Peter Erskine trio on ECM.  Mendoza wrote my favorite tunes on the Erskine CDs.  Begin Again has modern big sound, that is enjoyable, but nothing really stands out to me.  It's still worth a listen.





So, I hope today finds you in fine spirits, in these chaotic times.  Enjoy.

No comments: