Sunday, August 16, 2026

Sunday Music Muse Day - Tom Ollendorff, Jimmy Ponder

This Sunday Music Muse Day features two CD I picked at the Hi-Fi Lounge on Monroe Ave near Twelve Corners in Brighton (Rochester) NY.  First up is Tom Ollendorff - Where in the World. The included press release flyer states this is the guitarist's third album, and first collaboration with "Blue Note artist Aaron Park, pianist.  The quartet with James Maddren on drums, and Conor Chaplin of bass. The promo goes on to state,"Ollendorff's music elegently mixes graceful themes, baroque-like etudes and fast bop swing".  I found it offers nice contemporary jazz. Well worth a listen, and I plan to seek out his other prior releases.






Next is Jimmy Ponder - Steel City Soul. Jimmy Ponder ia strait ahead jazz guitarist in the mold of Wes Montgomery, in fact like Wes, he plays the guitar with his thumb. This is a compilation CD from several Ponder albums. I don't recognize the tunes from the two vinyl albums I owned of his, but sold year ago. Unfortunately, both have not been released on CD. The album Jimmy Ponder Illusions, has his rendition of Ron Carter's Sabado Sombrero, that I feel outshines Ron's original record. Just my opinion. Hopeful some producer will re-release Illusion on CD.






So, that's this Sundday Music Muse Day selection. Hope you find music to keep you sane in these troubled times.  Stay safe, and peace.




No comments: