Sunday, August 23, 2026

Sunday Music Muse Day - Lionel Loueke, Matt Just Pavolka

Just a quick post of the Sunday Music Muse Day first Gilfema + 2. Gilfema is a jazz trio consisting of Lionel Loueke, Ferenc Nemeth, and Massimo Biolcati. The name of the group comes from the musicians' names: Gil, fe, ma. Silly me, I thought it was an African term.  In anycase, the "plus 2 " is Anat Cohen on Clarinet, and John Ellis on bass clarinet and ocarina.  This the second CD I have from the group, which I became interested in through guitarist Lionel Loueke's African unique  playing style.  It's definitely worth a listen. 


My second selection was also the result of my knowing the guitarist from other recordings, and not the leader, bassist Matt Pavolka - Disciplinary Architecture, with Ben Monder on guitar, Santiago  Leibson on Keyboards, and Allan Mednard on drums. This is definitelu a modern jazz sound, not quite hardcore Jazz fusion, but hard to hear any classic styles front and center.  Give it a try and form you own opinion.  after several listening I enjoyed it.




These are two new groups to explore.  Enjoy.


 

No comments: