Sunday, January 14, 2024

"We Got Nothing" CBTV - Comic Book Television Video - Rankin/Bass Lost Pilot

Spoiler Alert. "We got nothing", was the first comment from producer Arthur Rankin after the pilot was reviewed.  

Hi, I'm Dennis J. Woodyard. I was the staff artist for Rankin/Bass for the last 30 episodes of the Thundercats for which I designed the secondary characters, props, and some backgrounds, (plus, I wrote two episodes, "Shadowmaster" and "Well of Doubt"). I also handled post production duties on the Comic Strip shows. In 1988, after the completion of Comic Strip, Rankin/Bass looked to develop a new show to present to new owner, Warner Bros. CBTV was that show that need to be produced at lower budget due to the cratering of the afternoon animation syndication market. CBTV was the show to fit the bill. To his credit Arthur Rankin, still pitched the show to Warner Bros. His "we got nothing" remains my most memorable quote of my animation career from any executive. My comic book loving friends will enjoy the seeing the indie comic books selected to be featured in the show. 



No comments: