Sunday, January 28, 2024

Sunday Music Muse Day - John Basile & John Abercrombie, John Pizzarelli

This Sunday Music Muse Day has me presenting three "Johns". First up, John Basile and John Abercrombie Animations.  The late John Abercrombie is one of my favorite jazz guitarist, since first hearing him in the early 1970s, so I'll pick up any recording of his as a leader, or sideman.  Guitarist John Basile is new to me.  This is a nice duo set that was the second release from Basile's label, Underhill Jazz, recorded in 2003. It's a little annoying that song composer credits are missing, I recognize the jazz standard "Sweet and Lovely", but I couldn't tell you its composer off the top of my head.  It would be nice to know which tunes are their originals.  This CD is still worth a listen.



The third "John" is the leader of The John Pizzarelli Trio Live at Birdland.  This a 2 CD set of warm and entertaining live set.  It's casual, laid back presentation is very inviting.  I'm not sure that it's my cup of tea (jazz) for repeated listening, since there is a lot of stage banter throughout.  John, of course, is the son of legendary jazz guitarist, Bucky Pizzarelli, but well-known and accomplish in his own right. This CD set, is worth a listen, too.



So, these are two nice CD to keep an eye out for.  Enjoy.



No comments: