Sunday, September 4, 2022

Sunday Music Muse Day - Terje Rypdal, Steve Tibbits.

This Sunday Music Muse Day finds me sharing two special ECM collections.  First, Terje Rypdal Odyssey in the Studio & In Concert. Terje Rypdal is a Norwegian guitar and composer, who is hard to categorize  He's part Stratocaster playing Rock, free jazz, and lyrical jazz fusion player.  I had his 1975 double LP, Odyssey, and was intrigued, and maybe a little confused by it. I really became a fan with his Wave album, and later works.  Listening to him some of his works produced for ECM. I could feel the cold stillness of the Norwegian fjords.  This release let me revisit the Odyssey band's music.  Plus, the previously unreleased, Unfinished High Ball (3rd CD) is actually in a more jazzy vain, and more appealing, in some ways.  ECM has been packaging recent multi-CD releases in plain white sleeves.  That might be because of copyright issues with reusing the original cover photos.  I've been personalizing them with album cover art.


My added cover art.






My second selection is Steve Tibbetts, Hellbound Train - An Anthology. This is 2 CD set featuring tunes from 8 ECM records.  Tibbetts is another musician that hard to categorize.  His music has a rock, mystical, world music favor.  Steve Tibbetts "Safe Journey" is one of my all time favorite albums, sadly only two tunes from it make this collect.  Still, it's well worth giving it a listen.






These CD sets will be spending a lot of time on in my player.  Check them out if you can.  Enjoy.

No comments: