Sunday, September 18, 2022

Sunday Music Muse Day. - Mimi Fox, the Trip

This Sunday Music Muse Day afternoon finds an overcast and slightly dizzily day, just the perfect time for warm jazz.  First up, Mimi Fox Perpetually Hip, a two CD set featuring the guitarist on "Disc1: Band", featuring Harvie S., Billy Hart on drums, and Xavier Davis on piano.  "Disc 2: Solo", of course, with her on solo guitar.  The solo disc shows the influence of his mentor. Joe Pass, the late legendary master of solo jazz guitar. Sadly, there are still too few female Jazz guitarist that instantly come to mind.  The late Emily Remler being one of the few I can think of.  I was first exposed to Mimi Fox on the jazz magazine FB page. I was lucky to find this CD set on my trip to Utica, NY, and the Norman Rockwell art exhibit. This is definitely an enjoyable and solid jazz guitar CD. I'll be seeking out more of Mimi Fox's music.






My second selection is CD I picked up without knowing a thing about any of the musicians on it. It looked to be a European jazz quartet CD by the instrumentation, and being recorded in Italy, and mastered in Oslo, Norway. All the compositions are originals by band members, Gianni Gagliardi tenor saxophone, Odd Abrigtsen guitar, Tim Thornton bass, and Anders Thoren drums. No one member is noted as the leader. The music is modern post-bop feel and really enjoyable. I'm glad I took a chance on it.



Speaking of the late Emily Remler, today is her birthday (September 18, 1957, died May 4, 1990).  Gone, but not forgotten. Her legacy lives on in the music of female guitarists like Mimi Fox, and others.  RIP.


Enjoy.


No comments: