Sunday, November 5, 2023

Sunday Music Muse Day - John Scofield, Ralph Tower with Wolfgang Muthspiel and Slava Grigoryan

This post-Halloween Sunday Music Muse Day finds me enjoying two of my favorite guitarists who both record for ECM Records.  First, a new release by John Scofield Uncle John's Band.  Obviously, the title is a play on his name and a nod to the Jerry Garcia tune on the CD.  The late Jerry Garcia was a guitarist and leader of the Grateful Dead, the legendary Rock band. Being about the same age, I get his musical references when he includes versions of a Bob Dylan (Mr. Tambourine Man), Neil Young (Old Man) and Jerry Garcia tune (Uncle John's Band). Those were definitely songs of my youth, too. I'm liking this 2 CD trio session much more than the disappointing  solo CD released last year. I think has returned to his musical comfort zone.




Next, is a 2013 ECM by Ralph Towner, Wolfgang Muthspiel, and Slava Grigoryan  Travel Guide.  This is a guitar trio session of quiet, gentle, music. Perfect for those introspect moments, or listening while curled up with a good book.  I'm a long time fan of Ralph Towner, but fairly new to Muthspiel, only seeing he mentioned on posts in a ECM FB group.  Grigoryan is totally new to me. But, now I'll keep an eye out for their other works as sideman, or leaders.  That's how I've always discovered new music.




In these chaotic times, please take time to take care of yourself, may music be a part of that.  


No comments: