Sunday, November 26, 2023

Sunday Music Muse Day - Bill Frisell. The Nels Cline Singers

This fine Sunday Music Muse Day, finds us out of Thanksgiving leftovers. (We finished the last piece of pecan pie last night while watching a movie on Netflix)  So, today started with a normal weekly grocery shopping trip, before settling in for some afternoon jazz. Unfortunately, this will be brief, since both selections are less the enjoyable.  First is Bill Frisell Silent Comedy.  Believe me, if you buy, and  listen to it, you'll find the joke's on you.  I'm a big Frisell fan, and even got my 80+ year old mother-in-law into his music. But Silent Comedy sound like Frisell just doodling around with a new guitar effects rack without reading the instruction.  There is no real structure, or direction to the music. Only a hard core Bill Frisell completest, should go anywhere near this.  You've been warned.





I had to give my next selection a little bit of a break, The Nels Cline Singers Instrumentals.  I knew his music would be experimental and out there.  I'm not really familiar with vocal versions.  There is a musical concept here, free-form rock/jazz (?), but not one I lean toward.  So, this gets another pass for me, although there are some interest sections.




I'll give myself points for stepping out of my comfort zone in giving these both a full listen.  You win some, you lose some.

No comments: