Sunday, November 12, 2023

Sunday Music Muse Day - Grant Geissman, Den Magraw & Eric Kamau Gravatt

This Sunday Music Muse Day find us planning for Thanksgiving in a week and a half. To me the sight of Xmas Trees is too soon for my taste, but in the retail world all the end holidays blend into media blur.  For this week's musical selection I'll start with guitarist Grant Geissman Bop! Bang! Boom!.  This CD is as enjoyable as the title and cover art.  Geissman came to fame through his playing with Chuck Mangione in the 1970's and wrote the theme for the Two and a Half Men TV show.  This 2012 CD is his 14th of 15 record releases.  According to Wikipedia, "In 2006, he released his thirteenth album as a leader, Say That!, on his own label, Futurism Records.[  A throwback to the jazz that first influenced him, he has described the sound of this album as "Wes Montgomery meets Horace Silver meets Jimmy Smith."  I found that's a fair assessment.  This ai enjoyable CD to listen to and very entertaining, but there flashy moment grabs me, but I do recommend giving it a listen.  I will say Grant Geissman really goes all out on the cover art and insert art , and packaging graphics.  That alone grab my eye. 








My second selection, Dean Magraw & Eric Kamau Gravatt  Fire on the Nile, was a shot in the dark, as I had never heard of these musicians, and a duo of just drum and guitar is out of the ordinary.  I'm glad to say, I like this 2014 CD release. The music is a little hard to lock down, but my favorite track, "Sharrock", give a nod to the late progressive jazz guitarist Sonny Sharrock.  I could hear echoes of his music in the tune.  Again, another CD worth a listen.



Again, this time chaos and worry, I hope you take care of yourself and find time to enjoy some good music to calm your soul.  Enjoy.



No comments: