Sunday, April 10, 2022

Sunday Music Muse Day - Yotam Silberstein, Torben Waldorff

This Sunday Music Muse Day finds us experiencing another cloudy, and cool spring day.  We even had some light snow flurries for awhile this morning.  Not enough for a coating and not enough to stop from enjoying some new music from what I think of as the next wave of jazz guitarists, that is guitarists who comes after the musicians I latched on to in the 70s and 80s, like Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin, Pat Martino, Larry Coryell, John Scofield, others, who were at the start of jazz fusion, that bridge between Rock and Jazz.  First up, Yotam Silberstein Future Memories.  I've come across his name in several online jazz review sites.  This is nice session by this Israeli guitarist. Seems he has been on the jazz since his arrival 2005 where he made a big impression with critics and players alike.  I can hear some Metheny in his work, and that's not a bad thing. 







Next is Torben Waldorff Holiday on Fire, another younger guitarist, (in his late 50s)who was totally new to me.  My only hint as to his leanings was in the song title Our Sound of Love (and Charles' and Duke's), which I assume was a nod to Charlie Parker and Duke Ellington.  I can hear some Miles, from his electric bands, and other early fusion groups in the sound.  Still, very enjoyable. I'll keep on the lookout for more of his music.




It's nice to discovery new musicians by browsing the CD racks and taking a chance on something without overthinking it.  It makes the finding of a new diamond in the rough much more enjoyable.








 

No comments: