Sunday, April 17, 2022

Sunday Music Muse Day - Jan Garberek, Bobby Hutcherson

This Sunday Music Muse Day find us observing several religious holidays.  I wish everyone a happy and peace observance of your respective faith.  In that spirit, I share my musical selection for the day,  First up Jan Garbarek In the Praise of Dreams.  This is one of his many ECM recordings, as a leader,  and sideman he has note worthing and long career. I admit sometimes I find his saxophone playing a little shrill, but still overall enjoyable.  This is a good session.





My second choice is Bobby Hutcherson In the Vanguard.  This is live recording at the legendary Village Vanguard jazz club in New York City.  A veteran jazz player Hutcherson play vibes and marimba (which I love the sound of) leading a stellar group including Kenny Barron on piano, Buster Williams on bass and Al Foster on drums. Although this CD get 4/5 star from online jazz critic, I found the sound and mix of the CD to be troubling, rather muddy to my ear. Made in 1987, it might be a early digital recording.  So it goes.




So, again, hope everyone enjoys their weekend not matter how you observe it.  As long as you do it with love and music. Peace.

No comments: