Sunday, November 28, 2021

Sunday Music Muse Day - Kamasi Washington, Brian Blade

This post Thanksgiving Sunday Music Day, finds me using the last of the leftover turkey on a salad for lunch, as my lastest picks play in the background.  First up is Kamasi Washington Heaven and Earth is by young jazz saxophonist that has been getting a lot attention in the last few years for his lengthy recording efforts. As AllMusic critic Thom Jurek described the album as " a major dose of Afro-Futurism", and observed: "Heaven and Earth is more a refinement of the ideas expressed on The Epic than an entirely new paradigm. Both releases are 3 disc sets. In the case of Heaven and Earth, "Both CD and LP versions of the album contain an extra disc called "The Choice" which is hidden within a closed part of the packaging which must be cut open to access the disc." -Wikipedia.  I discovered that on my own, although I bought it used, so it seems the original owner never found the third CD  "Choice".  Washington's  music is huge in scope and presentation. I'm reminded of Sun-Ra in his look. His pieces are played by 45 plus musicians.  There is a lot to digest and so far his music lives up to the hype. Worth giving it a listen.






My second selection is Brian Blade Fellowship. I've only been aware of this drummer in the last two years, with work his on Wayne Shorter's Emamon project, and other CDs of his I've picked, but this CD is his first album from 1998.  The music is fresh and modern to my ears being well worth checking out.








As Thanksgiving and Black Friday have passed, now on to next Happy Holiday of your choice.  Stay safe. stay healthy.

No comments: