Sunday, November 14, 2021

Sunday Music Muse Day - Gregg Bendian, John Zorn

This Sunday Music Muse day has me venturing slightly off the beaten path.   What both selection have in common is that are concept projects inspired by other media, comic books, and movies.  First up Gregg Bendian's Interzone: Requiem for Jack Kirby. Gregg  is jazz fusion vibraphonist that with his group Interzone plays a mix of free-jazz and fusion.  Free jazz musicans, Nels Cline (guitar) and brother  Alex Cline (drums)  play on the project. This 1999 released is tribute to my comic hero Jack Kirby, the legendary comic book artist best known for creating and co-creating with Stan Lee Marvel Comics characters so popular in the Marvel Cinema Universe movies hitting the theaters today. Bendian post on the Jack Kirby Face page that a remastered version of Requiem for Jack Kirby was available on his website.  I have seen it on Youtube before. But I went old school and found a CD onliine. I'm glad I did since it has a nice fold out poster and KIrby art graphics on the CD.  The music is good, and worth a listen.  I used it as a soundtrack while reading the Kirby's Forth World saga, which he did for DC comics after leaving Marvel.








My second selection is also by a free jazz musican, John Zorn The Big Gundown: John Zorn plays the Music On Ennio Morricone - The 15th Anniversary Edition.  I know of John Zorn as  Free Jazz, as in "out there" type of music from CDs with Bill Frisell, who play on one cut on this,"landmark album that introduced Zorn's wild musical universe to a larger audience".  Okay, I'll have to take the liner note writer's word that.  Of course I knew Ennio Morricone's music for the Sergio Leone films like A Fistful of Dollar. infamously called Spagetti Westerns.  The music is interesting and "out there, but personally I'd rather hear the originals by Morricone.  But if you want to venture on a musical path less traveled, give this a try.





Stay safe, stay healthy.  And remember...Winter is Coming. 


No comments: