Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sunday Music Muse Day - RIP John Abercrombie

This is a special, but sad, Sunday Music Muse Day in memory of jazz guitarist John Abercrombie, who passed this past Tuesday, August 22. This hurts so much. John Abercrombie was more than a favorite guitarist and musician of mine, his music was the soundtrack of my maturing years in NYC after art school. I got to see him perform many times in NYC, different groupings, as a leader, in duet with Ralph Towner,as sideman with Jack DeJohnette. I would pick up any album or CD I'd see with his name on, which led lead to discovering many new musicians with John as a guide.

Since Tuesday, I've found myself playing nothing but John's music from the 19 albums, and 10 CDs I own.  Some of his releases I have on album and CD, "Characters' and "Gateway".  I discovered Abercrombie guitar music when I was starting to shift my musical taste from blues rock of Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck to the jazz fusion of John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola (Return to Forever) and Pat Metheny, to name a few.  John Abercrombie first ECM album, Timeless, remains a favorite, and especially the title tune.  I can't recall how many hour I sit listening to that tune with headphones on.  I loved how Abercrombie could be intense and introspective without loud volume.  John was adventurous in the true sense.  He explored acoustic, electric guitar, guitar synthesizer, and even the electric mandolin in various settings.  "Character" a solo album is my second favorite.  It should be in everyone music collection. Replaying his music allows me to rediscovery so many gems.







My condolences to his family and friends. We've lost an American treasure. RIP, John, and thanks for the music, Your legacy will live forever.

No comments: