Sunday, April 7, 2024

Sunday Music Muse Day - Pat Metheny Trio, Felix Martin

This Pre-Solar Eclipse Day Sunday Music Muse day has me presenting one of my favorite guitar players, and a shot in the dark, a guitarist I never heard of. First up, Pat Metheny, Pat Metheny Live at Estival Jazz, at Lugano Switzerland, July 9th 2004.  The trio consist of Pat, on electric, nylon string, and guitar synthesizer, with Christian McBride on bass, and Antonio Sanchez on drums.  This live set draws tunes from Metheny extensive discography, and a favorite tune of mine, Lonely Woman, written by Horace Silver. I did feel this setting wasn't the best for Pat's music.  I missed the keyboards.  Also, I wasn't knocked out my Antonio Sanchez' drum solo. But, that's me just nitpicking. I was more than happy to find this CD at Record Archives, and I'm looking forward to Pat's release later this year.






My second selection was a shot in the dark, Felix Martin The Scenic Album.  I admit I was curious about the dual neck guitar in the cover photo and the bass player of the Chapman stick.  Overall, this 2013 release misses the mark for me. guitarist and  and leader Martin states in the liner notes he was "exploring Jazz Fusion, Death Metal, Mainstream Jazz, Latin, World, Heavy Metal and Djent (whatever that is)".  I heard strains of Robert Frigg/Adrian Belew era King Crimson (which I like) in some of the tunes, but the tunes' structure is lacking for me.  Too much of the playing is "shredding", for shredding sake". This maybe be another gift to my friend Sean Scanlon, like the Clutch CD I gave him. A case of just not my taste in music. But, so you can be the judge, I included the full liner notes, and there are videos of the tracks on Youtube.







So, be sure to watch take the proper precautions when watching the solar eclipse, take the warning of eye damage seriously. Enjoy.


No comments: