Monday, April 29, 2024

Sunday Music Muse Day (A day Late) Bill Frisell, Gerry Gibbs

Here's my Sunday Music Muse Day post, a day late. First up, Bill Frisell: Orchestras.  This is the latest release by one of my favorite guitarist.  I think of his music as  Neo-Amerciana, It always reminds me of a blend of jazz, folk, and American composer Aaron Copland.  This is a recording Frisell's trio with Thomas Morgan on bass, and Rudy Royston on drum performing with two full orchestras, the Brussels Philharmonic and the Umbria Jazz orchestra, orchestrated and arranged by Michael Gibbs. I'm really enjoying hearing old Frisell favorites of mine arranged for orchestra. It would be cool if the Bill Frisell came to Rochester and performed this with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra.  One can dream.








My second choice is Gerry Gibbs Thrasher Dream Trio with leader Gibbs on drums, and legends Kenny Barron on piano, and Ron Carter on drums.  It doesn't get better than this for power trio. This is actually the fifth release of Gerry Gibbs I have. I like his eclectic choice of material.  Besides sessions like this he does concept projects,  like his "Gerry Gibbs & Thrasher People -Weather or Not", an interpretation of Weather Report music, with Alex Collins on piano, and Hans Glawisching on bass.  Any Gerry Gibbs Dream Trio is well worth picking up. (I couldn't figure out if Gerry Gibbs was related to Michael Gibbs, the arranger on the Bill Frisell CD)








So, that's it for my day late post. Be sure to find some good music to enjoy, whatever your taste.  Peace.


No comments: