Sunday, March 31, 2024

Sunday Music Muse Day - Grant Green, Charlie Hunter

This Easter edition of Sunday Music Muse Day has me slightly disappointed in both of my selected CDs for different reasons.  First up, is Grant Green Slick Live at Oil Can Harry's. This excellent quality release from Resonance Records which has gained a reputation for presenting previously unissued recordings of several jazz greats, most notably, West Montgomery. The packaging includes a 47 page booklet of liner notes. I know Grant Green is legendary jazz guitarist, but I found this set to be very underwhelming, except for one cut, "How Insensitive (Insensatez) play in more jazz ballad style. Much of the rest of the 1975 live set seems to be trying to do  jazz fusion/smooth jazz (?) versions of R&B pop tunes. The mid-70s was when I was listening to John Mclaughlin, Chick Corea's Return to Forever,  and Larry Coryell, who I feel this group's sound comes closest to, but just barely.  I would only recommend this for history value relating to jazz guitar.



Next, is Charlie Hunter Trio Copperopolis. I have several CDs of this 7-string electric guitarist, and I've  even seen him live at the Loving Cup, here in Rochester.  Again, mainly I'm disappointed in the overall sound of this session.  It has a really loft grunge-jazz quality to it, which I don't find appealing. I'll try to give it a few more listening, giving up on him.



So, here's wishing everyone who celebrates it, a Happy Easter.  


No comments: