Sunday, December 5, 2021

Sunday Music Muse Day - David Darling, Mats Eilertsen Trio

This Sunday Music Muse Day finds me sampling some very retrospective CDs.  First up, David Darling Dark Wood. This solo outing by this cellist released by ECM records, and I admit that was the main reason I picked it up, as I'm a huge ECM fan from when I first heard albums by Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, John Abercrombie, Ralph Towner and others.  An ECM release is always worth a listen to step out my comfort zone.  This CD is sparse as you can imagine a solo cello would be.  Almost as sparse as the CD packaging. When in a introspective mood this can hit the spot,





My second choice, Mats Eilertsen Trio Sails Set is a trio outing lead by the bassist. Although not a ECM release Eilertsen has a connection to ECM Record as his other recordings were produced and released on ECM. Plus, he was a sideman on Tord Gustavsen's ECM CDs.  My first knowledge of  Eilersen was on the ECM facbook page. Again this is introspective music, perfect for cloudy winter day of reading and reflection.




A little calming music before the rush of the holiday season might be a good thing.


 

No comments: