Sunday, March 7, 2021

Sunday Music Muse Day - Larry Coryell, Ketil Bjornstad, David Darling

On this Sunday Music Muse Day we're having a chilly, but sunny day. There are still patches of snow to be found, but not enough to stop a walk around Cobb Hill Reservoir.   I started day with a quiet selection Ketil Bjornstad and David Darling The River.  This 1997 ECM release is meditative duet recording with Bjornstad on piano and Darling on cello.  David Darling passed away on January 8. 2021.  He had make 15 recording on ECM, as a leader and sideman.  I picked up this CD on the strength of ECM's reputation for interesting music as I never hear Bjornstad's music.  I figured how wrong can you go with piano and cello.  I have a vinyl album Eos with Terje Rypdal, guitarist, in duet with David Darling which ranges from avant garde, sonic noise, to mediative wails and moans. (I'll have to pull that out and give it another listen).  If you like classical music The River might be a good intro to the ECM style of European jazz.  Well worth a listen.  I plan to search out the other selections in the "Further Recording" liner note page.





My second selection is Larry Coryell Bolero.  This is a 1993 duet outing with Brian Keane and Coryell playing acoustic and electric guitar.  Although best known for his pioneering jazz fusion work with groups like his own Eleventh House, I actually prefer his later work in a guitar duets and trios mainly on acoustic guitar, which this is one.  His love for classic music shows through strongly on this CD, starting with the first cut Improvisation on "Bolero", the famous Ravel's Bolero. This is a fine addition to my Coryell music collection.




So. stay warm, stay safe, stay health and wear a mask.  Even as the number of friends and family getting vaccinations increases we're still not out of the wood yet. Take care. 



No comments: