Monday, March 6, 2017

Sunday Music Muse (a day Late) -Michael Melito, Peterr Erskine, Dave Holland Quintet, Lonni Smith Trio with John Abercrombie.

Sometimes It's hard to stay on schedule, so my Sunday Music Muse Day post is a day late.  (I took time out to go see a movie, and have dinner with a friend)  But, I still found time to pick up a few goodies.  First we'll be "giving the drummer some..." as Jim Brown would say.  I found another gem from Mike Melito aka Michael Melito Quartet 'Bout Time, recorded in 2000.  This is another swinging hard bop session the Mike excels at so well.  I don't try to be a completest, but I think I'm only missing one of Mike CDs to have all his sessions as a leader.  I'm keeping my eyes peeled for it.


Next up, again giving a nod to a drummer, Peter Erskine Sweet Soul, a post-Weather Report session.  Erskine is joined by guitarist John Scofield, bassist Marc Johnson, and saxophonist Joe Levano, and other named players. Rated 4 out of 5 star on the All Music website, Reviewer stated, "Throughout the date, the solos uplift the material and make this CD a worthy purchase for listeners who enjoy challenging but sometimes accessible post-bop music." I think this CD leads to the more introspect outings on ECM. I'm glad I found it. A nice personal touch to this CD is the dedication to Erskine's mother with a beautiful old photo.  That's very sweet.


Staying with a member of the rhythm as leader, here's Dave Holland Quintet Not for Nothin'.  Here's another CD that gets a 4 1/2 out of 5 star rating from All Music website, where reviewer Thom Jurek says, "This is postmodern poetic singing at its finest. Who said jazz is a dead art form? Let he or she who has the ears to hear, hear; the Dave Holland Quintet is carrying the banner of creative music in the jazz tradition in the 21st century."  This a fine ECM session and deserving of the praise.


My last selection for the week is musical tribute with twist, Jimi Hendrix music played my some impressive jazz players.  The Lonnie Smith Trio Purple Haze, featuring John Abercrombie on guitar, Marvin "Smitty" Smith on Drums, and Dr. Lonnie Smith on organ. (they note that Dr. Lonnie Smith is often mistaken for contemporary keyboardist Lonnie Liston Smith) John Abercrombie is one of my favorite guitarist in his own right, so it was a no-brainer to pick this up.  It's fun to heard these jazz guys take on the Hendrix tunes.  This is actually the second Hendrix tribute record Dr Lonnie Smith put together with these musicians, so I guess I have another CD to hunt down. (A side note: I really hate the cheesy looking cover, so I store it with the six panel page showing instead)



All in all, a nice group of CDs to explore and enjoy.

No comments: