Monday, March 27, 2017

Sunday Music Muse Day (A day late, again) - Joe Locke Quintet, Art of Love, Steve Khan, Claude Bolling

Again, my Sunday Music Muse Day post is a day late as we were enjoying having our sons home for college spring break.  But, I still had time to pick up several new CDs and enjoy an old favorite.  First up, is a local musician I was introduced to on a Bob Sneider CD, The Joe Locke Quintet Slander (And other Love Songs).  This third Milestone records recording the talented vibraphonist, continue his nod to Film Noir in tone and content, according to the liner notes.  i definitely have to catch him live sometime soon. This is another enjoyable outing.


Next is another blind faith pick, Art of Love - Robert Sadin - Music of Machaut.  The cover art intrigued me, and I recognized several of the musicians like Milton Nascimento, Brad Mehldau, and Lionel Loueke.  It's an adventurous  re-creation of medieval and renaissance music with a very modern touch. Reader reviews on All Music website gave it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars, and the reveiwer stated,"This beautifully executed CD should appeal to fans of jazz/classical crossover."  I'll have to give it more listenings to form a final opinion, but I can say I don't hate it.

My third selection was a result of partly the love of the CD cover art, and nostalgia, and in this case, nostalgia bite me in the ass.  Bolling's Greatest Hits, is a collection of tunes from the series of Claude Bolling's voluminous output of classical/jazz suites.  Although still enjoyable, I have to admit the music sounds very dated to me, now.  Well, I still like the illustrated cover art.


Finally I dug into my old CDs and pick an old favorite, guitarist Steve Khan Let's Call This, a trio outing with Ron Carter on bass, and Al Foster on drums.  I like the CD cover art by Jean-Michel Folon and like the music more. The tone Khan get out of his guitar instantly recognizable as his own.


That's it, enjoy the week, and every music you need that gives you joy.



No comments: