Sunday, January 1, 2017

Sunday Music Muse Day - Larry Coryell, Yusef Lateef, Jim Hall & Bill Frisell

Picking up after the holidays, here is this Sunday's Music Muse post.  It find me starting off the New Year with a couple of favorite guitarists, and a classic jazz artist.  First up. Larry Coryell Barefoot Man: Sanpaku. The title of this 2016 release in a nod to Larry's first album Barefoot Boy released in 1971 on Flying Dutchman Records. Larry's musical journey has been a long storied one.  His playing is still solid, but to my ears this wouldn't be as memorable as Barefoot Boy.


Next up if another guitar duo parting of Jim Hall & Bill Frisell Hemispheres.  This a duel CD set with one CD, a duet session, which unfortunately is damaged and doesn't play in my player.  The second CD is is quartet session with Scott Colley on bass, and Joey Baron on drums.  This CD has some tasty music that makes up for the lost of the first CD.  I may have to hunt down another copy.



The last selection is Yusef Lateef The Golden Flute.  I realize I don't have many Lateef albums or CDs, with the except of his classic, Eastern Sounds, with famous version of "The Love Theme from Spartacus" with Lateef on oboe.  This classic reissue helps fill that hole in my collection, nicely.


Hopefully, 2017 will hold many more musical treasures to be found and shared.

No comments: