Sunday, June 11, 2023

Sunday Music Muse Day - Gene Bertoncini, Jame Blood Ulmer, Pierre Bensusan

This Sunday Music Muse Day find us in the northeast still recovering the effect of the smokey air caused  by the massive Canadian forest fire.  The effects of climate became a reality for everyone.  With a warning to stay in doors for many, it might have been a good time to settle in with some good music. This week I offer three different players from the spectrum of guitar music. First up Gene Bertoncini Quiet Now, a solo jazz guitar CD, featuring some classic jazz tunes from great jazz composers. This is one CD I'll be revisiting often.


Next is James Blood Ulmer, Memphis Blood - the Sun Sessions. This CD really intrigued me, since I know as an avant-garde jazz guitarist whose music can be challenging to most casual listeners.  Here he's going back to his blues roots with tunes by blues masters Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, and John Lee Hooker.  If you like raw down home blues, this is worth a listen. Vernon Reed,of the black rock group Living Color, joins him on guitar, and produced the session.





My third selection is a CD by Pierre Bensusan, simply titled "2". Bensusan is French acoustic guitarist/singer, whose music I was introduced to by my Paul Kovit back in NYC in the 80s.  I even attended a Bensusan club date in NYC., with Paul.  His music is definitely on the folk side of things, but he's an excellent guitar player. His vocals are all in French, so I can't give an opinion on the lyrics.



We're hoping for a little rain to help clear the air in the region. Keep your fingers crossed and keep listen to good music.



No comments: