Sunday, June 4, 2023

Sunday Music Muse Day - Bill Bruford & Michiel Borstlap, Jack West & Curvature, Paul Flaherty

Hope everyone is enjoying this pleasant Sunday Music Muse Day.  My selections were bought knowing one musician, the second was the photo of player's guitar looked interesting, and third because of the CD title graphic.  First up is Bruford & Borslap, Every Step a Dance, Every Word a Song. This duet project of drummer Bill Bruford and piano and keyboard player Michiel Borstlap, recorded live on tour in Europe in 2003-4.  Bruford I've known for his work with King Crimson and his own solo works including the group Earthworks.  Borstlap is totally new to me, but the liner notes says Bruford and Borstlap have been making music together since meeting in 2002. This is hard to pin down Bruford's music. If anything it is a blend progressive rock, in a heavy dose of jazz.  There's an addition CD in the  package, "An Introduction to Winterfold Record which has an interview with Bruford  about his career between cuts of tunes from his various solo albums. Interesting stuff, But I had to go online to find the track list.   Definitely, worth a listen.




My second selection, Jack West & Curvature. I pick up this quartet's CD because of the photo of West's 8-string guitar with fanned out frets.  The cello player Mark Summer played with Turtle Island String Quartet, a group that plays "neo-classic" music including a rendering of Jimi Hendrix tunes.  The CD's music is adventurous, and again, worth a listen.




My last selection was bought on the strength of it's title,"Dragonfly Breath", because I like dragonflies. It has the dragonfly graphic similar to the one I use in my business cards.  That's the most positive thing I can say about this CD.  It's pure free jazz noise to me. I forced myself to give it one full listen, and I'll never feel inclined to play it again. I'll just enjoy the cover. The author of the liner notes praises the leader, saxophonist Paul Flaherty, and his music to high, heaven ,so to each, his own. You've been warned.





Enjoy.








No comments: