Sunday, February 19, 2023

Sunday Music Muse Day - Dino Saluzzi and Anja Lechner, Al Di Meola

On this heavy hearted Sunday Muse Day, The mellow nature of my selections are comforting background music.  First up, Dino Saluzzi and Anja Lechner Ojos Negros (Black Eyes) is an 2007 ECM release featuring Saluzzi on bandoneon, (The bandoneon is a type of concertina particularly popular in Argentina and Uruguay. It is a typical instrument in most tango ensembles. Wikipedia), and Lechner on the violoncello (The cello or violoncello is a bowed string instrument of the violin family. Its four strings are usually tuned in perfect fifths: from low to high, C₂, G₂, D₃ and A₃. The viola's four strings are each an octave higher. Wikipedia). Yes, I had to google both of their instruments to make sure I got them right.  I love the old world sound of the bandoneon.  I have other recordings by Dino Saluzzi  and he is featured on my second selection.





My second selection is Al Di Meola World Sinfonia Heart of the Immigrants, a Mesa 1993 release. This is Di Meola's mostly  acoustic ensemble that "incorporates South American, Spanish, and Middle Eastern elements, and makes Argentine tango a very high priority" - reviewer, Alex Henderson, All Music website.  This is a music direction Di Meola pursued in his solo career after leaving Chick Corea's Return to Forever.  Dino Saluzzi plays Bandoneon on this CD.  This is fine example of the universal appeal of world music. Worth giving it a listen. 




Again, my heavy heart is lifted by the comfort music on these CDs.  I hope others can find solace in music, too.

No comments: