Sunday, February 5, 2023

Sunday Music Muse Day - Baden Powell, Snarky Puppy

This Sunday Music Muse Day finds us recovering from an extreme temperature swing, from a frigid  -5º on Saturday morning to a mild 47º at midday Sunday.  Whatever the weather, here are selections to warm your heart.  First up, Baden Powell Live in Berlin, a two CD set of a solo concert recorded in 2000.  The intimate nature of the concert lets the full beauty of this legendary master of Brazilian music surround you.  This collection is worth seeking out.



My next is selection is totally different.  Snarky Puppy Empire Central is also a 2 CD set of "live in the studio" recording of this large ensemble of musicians described as "a big funky, romping, muscular jazz band". In my opinion, their music bridges art-rock and jazz fusion in a good way.  I was a little put off my their cutesy name when I first heard about them through an article in a local weekly newspaper, but came to like them when I heard their music. The group sound takes center stage over flashy soloists. Again, they are well worth a listen, and I have several of CDs to prove it.



Hopefully our temperature will settle to a normal winter pattern.  In any case, find a warm cozy spot and enjoy some good music.  It warms the soul.



No comments: