Sunday, November 27, 2022

Sunday Music Muse Day - Charles Lloyd, Miroslav Vitous

Today's Sunday Music Muse Day is presenting us with gloomy rainy weather, again, just right for listening to some good music. First up, Charles Lloyd Trios Sacred Thread.  It seems there are three separate "Trios" releases, this one, "Chapel", which I featured last week, and "Ocean", which I have not come across yet.  Sacred Thread features Lloyd on Tenor saxophone, alto flute, Tarogato (a Hungarian sax-like wind wood), and maracas, with Zair Hussain on tabla, percussion, and vocal, plus Julian Lage on guitar.  Although an impressive line up, I didn't enjoy this as much as the "Chapel" Trios CD.  On Sacred Thread the grouped play so softly as to be quietly distracting.  The music has a mystical feel, that's a positive. I'll have to give it more listenings, before passing any final judgement.







My slight disappointment continued with my next selection, Miroslav Vitous Music of Weather Report.  Vitous was a founding member of the legendary jazz fusion formed with Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter.  Vitous left the group when in his opinion it moved more commercial and less free-form avant garde jazz of it's roots.  Although I read reviews giving this 4/5 stars for his take on Weather Reports early tunes, I didn't  feel it lived up to the legacy of those early recording.  So that, the basic of my disappointment in this ECM CD, the playing didn't give me any new insight to the music. I plan to go back to early recording, especially the first two albums and see what I’m missing.  





                                     




These were slight disappointing, but as they say, "that's jazz". Of course, I could listen to them again a week, or year from now, change my mind. 







No comments: