Sunday, November 4, 2018

Sunday Music Muse Day John Scofield, Trio Beyond with Jack DeJohnette, Larry Golding, and John Scolfield

This Sunday Music Muse Day turns out to be a perfect autumn, and the first day of Daylight Savings Time. 

I celebrated by starting my day at the Southwedge Record Fair, where always manage to good selection or two.

Plus, I get to run into Derek Lucas of music director of Jazz90.1 our listener/member supported jazz station. It just finished another successful fund drive.  I renewed my membership Saturday, last week, during the Tom Pethic, Artistry in Jazz show.

Back to the music, as I run errands, I played one of the CDs purchased the Record Fair, guitarist John Scofield This Meets That.  I just featured Scofield's last CD, Combo 88, in my last Sunday Muse Day post, but you can never get enough of Sco's music. This Meets That is a solid, fun, outing, with a wicked version of the blues standard, House of the Rising House, it was reminding me of the Americana styling of Bill Frisell.  Later, when checked the liner notes, I discovered Bill Frisell played tremolo guitar on the that track. Scofild employs a group of horn players to compliment his trio (himself on guitar, Steve Swallow on bass, and Bill Steward on drums) in this 2007 release.  Giving the music will party favor. It well worth seeking out.



The secod CD I bought Trio Beyond Saudades also has John Scofield in a trio with Jack Dejohnette on a drums and Larry Goldings on Hammond organ and electric piano.  This is live double CD set dedicated to music of the late Tony Williams, legendary drummer and fusion innovator with his group Tony Williams Lifetime, which he formed after leaving Miles Miles in the 1969 with John McLaughlin on guitar, and Larry Young on organ.  DeJohnette  followed Williams on drums in the Miles Davis group playing on the classic Bitches Brews sessions. Saudades is an interesting record, as it does capture the essence  the raw energy those Lifetime recordings, but I'm not sure it will be everyone cup of tea.  Lifetime's music has a chaotic mix of jazz and Rock bordering on avant-garde. So be prepared for the sonic assault.



I going to enjoy my extra hour of sleep tomorrow morning, and try to forget it will get darker earlier in the evening. On the plus side it won't be pitch black when I'm leaving for work. But as always there is great music to listen to anytime, day or night.  Enjoy.



No comments: