Sunday, October 29, 2017

Sunday Music Muse Day - Weather Report, Wayne Shorter Quartet, Peter Erskine

It's a rainy Sunday Music Muse Day for me, so what better way to spend the day than listening to Weather Report Live and Unreleased. a two disc set of live performances recorded in the U.S. and London between 1975 and 1983, with five different versions of the band. The only constant is Joe Zawinul, keyboardist and Wayne Shorter, multi-saxophonist. Weather Report is one of my all time favorite groups, especially being  non-guitar based, which hooked me on a lot of fusion bands.  I first saw this on youtube and thought it was fan made bootleg, since I had never seen it.  I'm glad it is a official release.

Continuing with Weather Report is The Wayne Shorter Quartet Without a Net. This 2013 recording of live dates was Wayne's first Blue Note release since 1970.  Wayne shows he lost none of his sense of adventure on this 4/5 star rated CD.  Happy to said he's still going strong at 84 years old.

Just to make it an all Weather Report day, Peter Erskine Behind Closed Doors Volume One.  This CD by the former Weather Report drummer, is a collection of previously unreleased  tracks between march 1979 and March 1996, with a array of talented comtemptories, like John Scofield, Joe Lovano, Marc Johnson, Bill Dobbins, to name a few.  I've enjoyed Peter Erskine post- Weather Report music as a leader and composer.  I hope I come across Volume 2 soon.


It's still raining outside, but listening to music on these CDs brightens the forecast. Hope you find good music in your forecast.  Enjoy.


No comments: