Saturday, December 17, 2016

Santa. Baby - Rankin/Bass' forgotten Christmas Special

Today in the anniversary of the airing of the Rankin/Bass Christmas special Santa Baby, which aired on Monday, December 17, at 8pm on Fox.  Santa Baby was of course build around the famous, "Santa, Baby" song.  Unfortunately, the animated special ever seem to catch on like the other R/B Christmas special although it had an impressive cast of talent actors, Gregory Hines, Patti LaBelle, Vanessa Williams and Eartha Kitt.  I can't say if the mostly black cast, and urban setting effected the it's appeal.  Here's the Los Angeles Times review.
At least the Santa Baby did show up on DVD.  And CD.


A side note, Santa baby was my last project with Rankin/Bass, but the credit was more advisory, then creative.  One highlight was I got you meet the lovely Vanessa Williams when she came in to record some of her songs.  She wouldn't know me from Adam, but I'll ever forget her, she was fantastic.

So, for old time's sake, I'm throwing Santa, Baby in the DVD player tonight.

No comments: