Thursday, February 12, 2009

Lincoln 200th Anniversary Birthday Tribute

Here is a video tribute to Abe Lincoln on the 200th anniversary of his birth.


This video came together very quickly and mostly by happy accidents. The wonderful illustrated book was just pull from storage because of our current move. It was picked up after being disgarded by my kid school in California. No bad intentions, just part of the annual weeding of old book to make room for new ones. For me, one look at the interior paintings by James Daugherty and I just had to save it. Unfortunately, the dust cover was long gone. With the elect of President Obama, and with all the comparisons to, and his fondness for Lincoln. I thought the illustrations would make a good video. The narration track by Jeff Daniels is from a youtube video ( I'll post this as to response to to). My first plan was to just video my turning of the book pages to the Daniels narration track. But, in searching on the web to see if a good shot of the missing cover existed, I found the beautiful full-frame images of the painting on The Lincoln Highway National Museum & Archives web site. So, I decide to use them for main body of the video. The intro and ending music is by Bill Frisell, a very fine guitarist. The sound tracks are from two songs "Jimmy Carter (Part 1) and (Part 2), named for the former president, how timely. Since I work part-time in a public library, this book themed video is a real treat. I hope you enjoy it, and share it with friends, family, and teachers.

Best regards, and happy birthday, Abe.