Sunday, October 20, 2019

Sunday Music Muse Day - Anthony Willson, Patrica Barber

This Sunday Music Muse Day finds us enjoying a set of perfect fall weather days, slightly cool in the shade, warm in the sun.  When not outside enjoying the weather, I'm inside enjoying these two selections, slightly the beaten path for me.  First up is Anthony Wilson self-title debut album Anthony Wilson (1997) — featured a nine-piece “little big band” and received a Grammy nomination for Best Large Ensemble Jazz Recording. He is son of legendary jazz trumpeter and bandleader Gerald Wilson and it's obvious talent doesn't fall far from the family tree. This is a fully realize effort and worth checking out. (One odd note: It did play correctly on my old 1980's CD player, sound scratchy. But it play fine in my Playstation 3, it could have a manufacturing defect, but I'm blaming my old CD player)




My next selection id Patrica Barber Nightclub, which again, I not usually into vocal jazz as much as guitar-centric instrumental, but I like her laid back smokey jazz club style. She can be slightly pretentious, and cerebral in seductive way. This is exclusively a eclectic selection of jazz standards and movie themes. The several of her sideman caught by eye including Charlie Hunter on 8-string guitar, Marc Johnson on bass (made Bass Desires with John Scofield, Bill Frisell, Peter Erskine), and Adam Nussbaum on drums (noted sideman with John Scofield, and the late John Abercrombie groups) When I'm in the mood Patrica Barber can satisfy my desire for some off beat jazz vocal music. Also, worth a listen.

I hope our nice fall weather continues, but if not there are always good to enjoy.

No comments: