Sunday, January 13, 2019

Sunday Music Muse Day - Pat Metheny, Philippe Kahn with John Abercromie

This second Sunday Music Music Muse Day of the year, finds me enjoying warm tune on very cold winter day.  Pat Metheny Day Trip helps warms the day.  This is a trio outing with Christian McBride on bass, and Antonio Sanchez on drums, released on Nonsuch Records in 2008.  Consisting of all Metheny compositions it's a solid CD, but I admit none of the tunes really stand out, except the tune the Red One which I remember from a John Scofield and Pat Metheny LP, I Can See Your House From Here. That said, I'm sure the music will grow on me.  The cover art paintings by Josh George, is very worth checking out.





My next selection is one of those picked up for the side musicians rather than the leader, flutist  Philippe Kuhn Walkin' on the Moon. This 1991 release on Pacific High Productions (indie label, I guess) features the late John Abercrombie on guitar, Peter Erskine on drums, Charlie Haden on bass, and several other name players.  It a pleasant enough CD, but again it not a stand out offings.  Reading the liner note the Kuhn heart seem to be in the right place. Again, I'll give this more listenings before giving up on it.





Winter is here, so try to warm and healthy.  Enjoy.

No comments: