Sunday, June 17, 2018

Sunday Music Muse Day - Father's Day, Grant Geissman. Bireli Legrene, Warped Sky Stray Cloud

Here's wishing a happy Father's Day.  What better way to enjoy the day than to kick back and share some good tunes.  First up is Grant Geissman Say That.  This is interesting, I do favor guitarist in my music selection, and must admit the cover art and packageing caught my eye.  I vaguely remembered hearing of Geissman, with the term "Smooth Jazz" popping in my mind.  You know I hate Smooth Jazz. So, reading his liner notes he admit most people see him as a Smooth Jazz guy, and he says, "And I don't really want to be known as a Smooth Jazz guy.  In fact that's the last thing I want to known as, especially the way the music is going, which is to say...it's not music . It's Muzak".  Okay, he earn my money with that statement. He playing is definitely more straight ahead jazz, but there some soft edge to the set.  Another interest note.  Geissman is the co-writer of the Two and a Half men TV comedy theme.  He performs a longer jazzier version on the CD.  All in all a pleasing outing.




My second pick is Bireli Lagrene Standards is 1992 release, from guitarist I remember as a 15 year old who play amazing Dranjo Reinhardt styling in 1981 on his first record release.  This is set of jazz standards, and it has lost none of the fire in his playing. He's just got better with age.



Lastly, here is another tune in my Warped Sky: Stray Cloud project, a combination of songs from old tapes and new renditions of original tunes written and played by me in the 1980s. Beliefs is my "Bob Dylan" tune, an long opus full of social commentary. It was written back 1981, and never really completely until now. (My vocals, rhythm guitar. The rest produced in the Band in Box music program)   The Part (Slight Return) is mainly the Band in the Box rhythm section,  The Part 2 title "Slight Return" is  nod to Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child (Slight Return). 

As with other tunes of mine, there the making of an animated video in the song's storyline. Time will tell. For me, it's one more off my music bucket list. Enjoy.



No comments: