Sunday, June 5, 2016

Sunday Music Muse Day with Bill Frisell, Chick Corea, Wayne Shorter, and Elvin Jones

This week's Sunday Music Muse Day selections finds me enjoying some well known favorite musicians, and a legend who I didn't have a record or CD by.  First up is the eclectic guitarist Bill Frisell Ghost Town CD.  A review on All Music website says "While Bill Frisell has released plenty of albums under his own name, this is his first true solo album -- the first on which he plays all of the instruments himself. These include electric and acoustic guitar, six-string banjo, and bass, as well as the occasional looped sample."  I didn't notice this until I was listening to it.  Bill's range of musical ideas are always amazing, it hard to label him, so I don't try and just enjoy his work.  His blend of jazz, country, and blue grass, and folk, always make me think of the composer Aaron Copland, who was Instrumental in forging a distinctly American style of composition.








My second selection is Chick Corea Origin- Live at the Blue Note.  This is premiere of a new group Corea put together with a talented batch of young players.

My third selection is Wayne Shorter  The All Seeing Eye.  This Blue Note re-issue of a session recorded in October 15, 1965 gives a hint of the what Wayne brought to later sessions with Miles Davis Bitch Brew era.  I found the music bold and daring.

My last selection is Elvin Jones At this Point in Time.  I have to admit, although I have many records with Elvin as a sideman, this is the first I have of him as a leader.  I also have to admit the Elvin's persona has always scared me, he looks so intense on his album covers.  His music can be just a intimidating, but I intent to face my fear and give it a solid listening.


Enjoy.



No comments: