Sunday, April 23, 2017

Sunday Music Muse Day - Alan Holdsworth, a Tribute

Today's Sunday Music Muse day is in tribute to guitarist Allan Holdsworth who passed away unexpectedly this past Saturday , April 15, 2017.  He was one of my favorite Jazz Fusion guitarist, with a style and sound all his own.  This NPR radio post had a wonderful write up on him. http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/04/17/524332013/allan-holdsworth-revered-fusion-guitarist-dies-at-70

As I was visiting my local record shops for the 10th annual Record Store Day, Allan Holdsworth latest released Eidolon: The Allan Holdsworth Collection was a must have.  
 Eidolon is 2-Disc best of collection with the tracks chosen by Holdsworth himself form his solo group recording. It is curious to compare his best selection to your own favorites for his albums picks.






In sharing memories of him and his music with my friend, Rodney, I felt compelled to pullout all my Holdsworth LPs, CDs, with him as a leader and sideman.  I think I'm only missing three of his solo albums.  Seeing his name on other artists records lead me to pick them up.  Holdsworth also played with two of my favorite drummers, Tony Williams and Bill Bruford.


When I review my collection, I know I spend many hours of enjoyment listening to his music, and will continue to do so.  I guess that is the best legacy of any artist.  RIP, Allen Holdsworth, and thanks for the music.




No comments: