Sunday, October 6, 2019

Sunday Music Muse Day - Ginger Baker RIP

This Sunday Music Muse Day started on a sad note the passing of Ginger Baker, founder and legendary drummer for Cream, one of the foremost Rock groups of 1960s.  With Eric Clapton on guitar and the late Jack Bruce on bass, Cream, along the Jimi Hendrix Experience, defined the Rock power trio for all that followed.  Cream's double album Wheel of Fire was one of the first vinyl records I bought as a teenager.  I remember listening to early FM radio, late at night, while drawing at the kitchen table, to the extended albums cuts of 'Crossroads' and 'Spoonful'.  Cream covers introduced me to the music of blues legend Robert Johnson, and others. 



I'm glad I got a chance to see Ginger Baker play live on the only tour of Blind Faith, with Clapton and Steve Winwood (of Traffic), the band formed after Cream broke up.

One of my personal thrill was Ginger Baker mentioning my father, Sam Woodyard, as one of the classic jazz drummers who inspired him in his youth.  This was printed in the liner notes of CD he did with Bill Frisell.

Ginger Baker's  musical legacy is secure and his music will always beat on.  Rest in peace, Ginger, and thanks for the music.



No comments: