Sunday, June 16, 2019

Sunday Music Muse Day - Gary Burton, Egberto Gismonti

This Sunday Music Muse Day find us celebrating Father's Day.  I had the well wishes of my wife and sons to warm my heart on this rather cool, overcast day.  I played these ECM selection to brighten the mood.  Gary Burton The New Quartet  is CD reissue of classic from the 1973. Somehow, I missed it the first time around.  This features guitarist Michael (Mick) Goodrick, follows in a spot held by Larry Coryell, and Pat Metheny in earlier Burton groups. This is great addition to my music collection.  This is one of the recent bunch of ECM reissue releases of their catalog. My only complaint is there are no liner notes to give more context to the music.

Next is Egberto Gismonti Selected Recordings, a 2004 release of various tunes from Gismonti many ECM albums.  I really enjoy Gismonti's music as it introduced me to another side of Brazilian beyond Bossa Nova, the more rural folk music of Bahia.   I can't call this a "best of " since a lot of my favorite tunes aren't included.  But, it is still a good collection and worth having.



I hope everyone had a wonderful Father's Day.  Enjoy.

No comments: