Sunday, September 23, 2018

Sunday Music Muse Day - Gabor Szabo, Jimmy Herring

This Sunday Music Muse Day find me playing a guitarist I've known by name, and repetition but never owned an album of.  Gabor Szabo, The Socerer - More Sorcery is Impulse! 2-1 CD of two live set recorded in 1967.  A lot of early jazz fusion guitarists, like Larry Coryell named Gabor Szabo as an influence. Gabor has a raw, sparse, European/gypsy sound to my ears. Some of the selections show the era when some popular tunes were being cover by jazz musicians.  There are renditions of Sonny and Cher's The Beat Goes On, and the Beatles Lucy in the Skies With Diamonds  to illustrate the point. Still worth giving it a listen.





My second selection turned out to be a disappointment.  Jimmy Herring Lifeboat. I picked up this CD because I saw Herring performing with John McLaughlin on his farewell tour last year.  I missed most of his opening set, but thought he sounded good with McLaughlin. This CD of his own compositions really didn't grab me. Sort of the down side of jazz fusion, a lot of notes played fast and furiously, but no memorable tunes.  So it goes.


Fall is here.  Time to gather some firewood for the fireplace, watch for falling leaves, and also a good a time to settle in for some good music listening. Enjoy.


No comments: