Sunday, April 8, 2018

Sunday Music Muse Day - Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, Jack DeJohnette. Al DiMeola

Welcome to another springtime Sunday Music Muse Day, although snow on the ground and cold weather (here in north western New York state) might confuse you. Today's two selections have has a common connection of personal and emotional issues for both artist. First, is a new release of a1998 live recording by pianist Keith Jarrett, After the Fall, with Gary Peacock on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums. This 2 CD set's title refers to Keith Jarrett’s “fall” into a bout of chronic fatigue syndrome in autumn (or fall) 1996.  The illness kept him from playing publicly for two years. This concert, recorded in Newark, New Jersey, near his home, was his first post-recovery attempt to play before an audience. In many ways a personal triumph for him.  I admit I'm not a giant fan of Keith Jarrett, but this is a joy to listen to, even without knowing the context.


Al DiMeola Opus, his latest release, also, finds the fusion-famed guitarist stating, "for the first time in my life, I have written music being happy.  I'm in a wonderful relationship with my wife. I have a baby girl and a beautiful family that inspires me every day.  I believe it shows in the music."  I have no details to fully understand what he's referring to. as being unhappy.  He adds in this music he sees himself furthering his compositional skills to become a "composer/guitarist" rather "guitarist/composer".  I'm more than happy to give this repeated listenings to figure the different.



Both these musician show that there has to be a attachment to the full experiences of life, the good, and the bad,  Those experiences help shape the music, whether the audience is ever aware of it.

No comments: