Sunday, April 29, 2018

Sunday Music Muse Day - Duke Ellington Birthday, Jazzy Birthday (More or Les)

The Sunday Music Muse Day falls on Duke Eliington's birthday. What better way to celebrate that to spin some of my favorite Ellington Album and CDs.  Duke Ellington Piano in the Foreground is a favorite because actually like Duke small group sessions,  Having Sam Woodyard, my father pictured on the cover is a plus.




With Duke Ellington meets Coleman Hawkins, the biggest thrill is the first tune"Limbo Jazz", were Sam is heard vocalizing on the tune unaware the he's being recorded.  I'm so glad Duke release this cut as is.  I always get a kick out of hearing it. Of course the whole session is full of great playing by everyone.  The tune started my friendship with Tom Pethic when I thanked him on air for playing it on Jazz90.1, introduced myself. Thanks, Tom.


My finally selection is Duke Ellington Soul Call. I searched a long time to find the original LP after hearing the first cut La Plus Belle Africaine on a college radio station in the early 70s.  I was digging the drumming, without knowing it was Duke and my father playing on the drums. At the time I was more into Rock music, especially Cream, with drummer Ginger Baker, Eric Clapton on guitar, and Jack Bruce on bass. I happily picked up the CD reissue.

So, hope you find a way to celebrate Duke, too.

As a Part 2 to this Sunday Muse Day, and in honor of Duke, I sharing a rough version original tune Jazzy Birthday (More or Les).  The "Les" in the title refers to a old friend of Les Bernstein, not Les Paul the great guitar player, and father (inventor) of the solid body electric guitar, although it could, also. It's a work in progress.  Here are lyrics to this, but they're not ready, well... I'm not ready to torture people with vocals.  I could hear Giamono Gates doing it. 

I recently picked up the Band in a Box music program which lets you make backing tracks.  I going to use to put my old unfinished musical ideas down.  Sort of a musical "Dime-a-Dozen Project".  I have scores of half-baked idea collecting dust is folders.  A few are dusting off and presenting in some form.

This is actually what I started my Sunday Music Muse Day post to explore my music side.  They will never be a perfect, but I hope they're fun. 

No comments: