Sunday, October 1, 2017

Sunday Music Muse Day - Sound of Wood & Steel, Jim Hall, Alan Holdsworth

Sorry, I skipped a week (for no particular reason), but I'm back with another Sunday Music Muse Day.  This week features all guitar music, I admit that's my preference most of the time.  First up is two CDs slightly outside of my jazz leanings, Sounds of Wood & Steel (1) & 2/  A Windham Hill Collection of acoustic guitar music produced in partnership with the Taylor Guitars company.  All the performers used Taylor guitar on the CDs. Windham Hill used to be described as New Age label, mostly presenting instrumental acoustic music. I picked up some Windham Hill albums ages ago. Most of the guitarists on these CDs are new to me, except Michael Hedges, Will Ackerman, and Leo Kottke/  I have albums by all three.  Generally this is a nice set of music, pleasant, but not memorable.  It is nice background music for a lazy, peaceful afternoon, or quiet dinner party, so it's not all bad.
Next is, Grand Slam,Live at the Regattabar, with Jim Hall on guitar, Joe Lovano on saxophones and alto clarinet, George Mraz on Bass, and Lewis Nash on drums. I sure Tom Pethic influenced this purchase.  I'm sure I've hear Joe Lovano played on his radio show many times.  Great stuff, getting a 4 1/2 out  of 5 star rating on the All Music web site.  This is one for serious listening.


Finally, Alan Holdsworth All Night Wrong, a live set recorded at a venue in Japan during a 2002 tour. This is 4 out of 5 star rated CD by the great fusion guitar, and a favorite of mine, who passed away just a few months ago.  I'm glad to add this to my collection.
With the passings of Holdsworth, Larry Coryell, and the recent death of John Abercrombie, all long time favorite guitarists of mine, those sad events pushed me to buy tickets for John McLaughlin's farewell tour this November.  I'll be seeing at University of Buffalo, and I'm taking my son, who is just starting to play guitar.  I hope he like the concert.


No comments: