Sunday, June 25, 2017

Sunday Music Muse Day- XRIJF John Zorn with Bill Frisell, Ralph Towner, Larry Young, Trio East

This Sunday Music Muse Day finds us two days in the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival.  I have a chance to participate is a TV promo for it as my wife and I were invite to be part of the audience for the taping of promo by guitarist Bob Sneider. (Lisa and I are the blurry head over the male host's shoulder)

Bob hosts one of the festival after hours jam sessions.  You can see the segment with Bob at this link. 13WHAM Jazz festival Preview.
 Lisa and I attend the part of the festival and jam session Saturday night.  We hope to take more shows this coming week, before we go on vacation.

One of the shows I'm sorry to miss is Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan duet. So, I'll console myself with listen to Frisell on one of my Muse Day picks, John Zorn Naked City, which AllMusic reviews states, "performs his unpredictable originals, abstract versions of some movie themes...The stimulating music rewards repeated listenings by more open-minded listeners."  Well, to put I lightly, the music on this CD is not for the faint of heart.  It can be as brutal as the cover photo, and bizarre as the package artwork, but just a intriguing. I thought picking this up it would compliment the movie theme CD by Bob Sneider and John Locke I enjoyed so much.  Naked City is harder to get into.




Next is a Ralph Towner Solstice Sounds and Shadow (1977) is the follow up to Towner's first ECM outing "Solstice" (1976), which I have on vinyl.  Both are classic ECM productions. Well worth seeking out.


Next is early CD by the late organist Larry Young Unity.  My knowledge of him was through his work John McLaughlin pre-Mahavishu CDs, and as part of Tony Williams Lifetime, both more fusion than this outing. There is a CD of Larry Young's from Resonance Records that's getting of attention.  That got me interested in this CD.  I think some of the same tunes are on it.

My last selection, I present with a little embarrassment.  It's the Trio East Stop-Start, which I already so how have two copies of.  This is clearly a fault of my being a visual person.  This release has different cover from the other copies. Thanks, guys. I'll have to ask Rich Thompson about this.



 Here's the other cover.

I guess it was so nice they had to release it twice.  In any case, the music is great.  They played at the Little Theater Cafe, the same night the XRIJF started, so they are right the thick of things.  So, if your in the Rochester area be sure to enjoy the festival.

No comments: