Sunday, May 7, 2017

Sunday Music Muse Day John Abercrombie, Wes Montgomery, John Scofield, and Don Byron

This week's Sunday Music Muse day selections are actually left over from the Record Store Day event two weeks ago.  I was able to find several CDs of favorite guitarists as leaders, and as a sideman.  First up, John Abercrombie Quartet Up and Coming, his latest release on ECM.  Abercrombie is of my all time favorite musician.  Any time I see his name on a project, as leader or sideman, I'd be willing to pick it up without hearing note, I trust his music integrity that much. This CD is no exception.  Good stuff.




Next, Wes Montgomery Echoes of Indiana Avenue, another excellent collection of rare early recordings from Resonance Records. Besides the tasty tunes, the info booklet of the Resonance releases always give you an added insight the music.  In this case, a remember from Pat Martino, a guitar legend himself, who relied a moment in 1963, when he finds himself breakfasting with four other guitar giants, Wes Montgomery, Les Paul, Grant Green, and George Benson.  That is an amazing image.


My third selection is another guitar favorite, John Scofield Quartet What We Do, and what they do is Post-Bop to the max, with the aid of saxophonist, Joe Levano.  I love the way Scofield attacks the guitar with swinging edge that comes close to thinking he losing control, but he always keeps it together.


My last selection is another one chosen because Bill Frisell is the guitar player on the CD, Don Byron Tuskegee Experiment.  Overall, I'm still deciding if I'm liking the Don Byron work, although this CD gets a 4/5 star rating on the AllMusic site.  Clarinet is still not of my favorite instruments to listen to. Be I'll keep a open mind, and ears, and give it more listens.

Spring is here, but the it's cold and rainy in my neck of the woods.  But the gloomy days make perfect time settle in with these CDs.  Hope you do the same.




No comments: