Sunday, April 30, 2017

Dime-A-Dozen #5 - Odds & Ends - Miscellaneous Characters

[Dime-A-Dozen Projects is so named from a conversation with creative friends of mine as we lamented that when we were working full-time for someone else, we get these (in our minds) original million dollar ideas, that would, somehow, turn into "dime-a-dozen" ideas when we were out of work and on our own.]

Next up, is Odds & Ends, a group of miscellaneous characters that I drew in my teenage sketch books (1962 - 1969)


Cheetah.
The Cheetah was a speedster character based on my favorite big cat.  I don't have clue how he acquired the super speed.


 
It's obvious The Cheetah was inspired by the comic book speedster, The Flash, especially as drawn my artist Carmine Infantino.
Here's Cheetah in a revised costume confronting the Solar-Naut.


Samurai. 
Samurai is of course a katana (japanese sword) swinging costumed hero or villain. 


I'm not sure if Samurai was inspired by Charlton's Comic Judomaster  published in 1966, when I was 16 yrs old, so it is a possible source.

I did one revision of Samurai's costume on this page.
 Dragonfly
Dragonfly is just a guy with dragonfly wings.  I'm not sure if you was a Spider-man rip off, of an Ant-man rip off.



 Dr. Heat.

The Lancer.
NO-Name.  Really I don't remember giving this guy a name, only that the costume was inspired by a fashion outfit in a magazine.
Torgo,the Mechanical Man (?)
Staggor - The Warlord seems to be an ally of Marvel's Thor, and a opponent to my Marauder, of Sabre Squad.




The Gladiator.  I think he was inspired my Hercules in the Marvel Thor comics.

Exo-Man is the character with the servos on his joints.  Considering this was drawn in the mid-1960s, it now far from the advances in exoskeleton engineering happening today.

(The other character, Maximus Kreel, the Intergalactic Bounty Hunter will be part of a future post)

No comments: