Sunday, August 14, 2016

Sunday Music Muse Day, George Benson, Oregon, and a cool guitar t-shirt.

This will a short Sunday Music Muse Day post.  First, I wanted to show off this cool Yin-Yang Guitar t-shirt, from Me By Me Shop.  It popped up on my Facebook feed and I couldn't resist it.
It would go good with this book I read years ago on the playing guitar titled, Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo, a guitarist who unfortunately died soon after the book was published.  Zen Guitar offers a spiritual perspective on playing guitar, and making music.  I think it's still in print, if you want to give it a try.


For for music this week, speaking of guitar, I picked up the first recording as a leader of George Benson,  The New Boss Guitar of George Benson, with the Brother Jack McDuff Quartet.  Many know George as the pop star beginning with his Breezin' album and the mega hit  single "This Masquerade", but he of course was well-known in jazz circles.  I like hearing his pure jazz outings.  This is a true treasure as five of the seven tunes are Benson originals, with a extra cut, not on the  original album.  This is going to be fun to listen to over, and over, again.

My second selection is a CD of an album I have, but don't mind buying a gain, Oregon, the eclectic group featuring  Ralph Towner, on guitar, Paul McCandless on soprano saxophone, oboe, tin flute, English horn and bass clarinet, Colin Walcot on percussions, and Glen Moore on bass.  I think of Oregon as early world music pioneers, starting with their roots in the Paul Winter Consort, who I saw back in the 1970's.  Their music mixed elements of Jazz, classical, and world music.  Their international hit was the tune
Icarus.  Oregon continues in that direction.  This CD is the German ECM version, which is slightly disappointing in that there are four pages of liner notes in German, with no English translation.  But the CD is still well worth listening to.



That's it for this week, I'm off to host a family cook out for my college bound son.  Enjoy.

No comments: