Sunday, March 20, 2016

Sunday Music Muse Day - Keith Jarrett, Ben Goldberg wtith Charlie Hunter, The Bad Plus.

During a tough personal time,  the Sunday Music Muse day is a change to take my mind off things and feel slightly more normal  First up is the trio of Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, and Jack DeJohnette,  Always Let Me Go - Live In Tokyo.  I found this ECM 2 CD set to be a little uneven to me.  Some tunes are solid, but then other are unfocused, bordering aimless doodling.  Not a great outing in my opinion, so I checked the reviews on Amazon and the CD gets ratings from 1 star to 5 stars, with plenty of disagreements.  Most who like it championed its "Free Jazz' moments,  I guess those are the moments I don't like.


Next is a CD I picked up more for the 7-string guitarist, Charlie Hunter, than the leader Ben Goldberg.  The CD is titled Go Home, clarinetist, Goldberg, wrote and co-wrote all the tune.  The All about Jazz website finds Goldbergs music, "Eclectic and loose, but with grooves that will make believers out of even the most improv-averse, Go Home is the perfect combination of music for the head, the heart...and the feet."  I'd agree with that, this a bunch of young guys exploring new sounds, and worth a listen.


Last Item is the Bad Plus "Prog".  This trio is a very progressive jazz group who likes to cover rock tunes and turn them inside-out.  As they do with Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World", the first track on this CD, and others.   I definitely have to be an active listener for this CD. It's not a easy-listening CD by any stretch, but well worth the challenge.



So, went I need momentary escape from current life issues, there is always music.





No comments: