Sunday, October 11, 2015

Sunday Music Muse Day - Bill Frisell, Pat Metheny, Freddie Hubbard and Patricia Barber.

I missed posting last week, due to family stuff, so I'm back with this week's Sunday Music Muse Day with four solid selections.  First up, a favorite guitarist of mine, Bill Frisell Big Sur, with another eclectic and adventurous outing.  Big Sur finds Bill playing with a drummer and a viola, cello, and violin  string trio.  The title comes from the music being written at Glen Deven Ranch in Big Sur, a legendary region in California Big who's relative isolation and natural beauty began to attract writers and artists, and performed at the 2012 Monterey Jazz Festival.


Next up is another, favorite, Pat Metheny The Way Up, which find Pat teamed with long time musical band mates Lyle Mays, on piano and keyboards, and Steve Rodby, on acoustic and electric bass.  The CD consist of one long 68 minute composition.  A very engrossing music.

Here's another Rudy Van Gelder Edition CD which he transferred and remastered a classic Blue Note album with 24-bit technology, Freddie Hubbard Hud-Tones. Again, a chance to fill my hole in my collection is a classic Blue Note reissue.  An interesting personal note, in a sort of a "six degrees of separation", when I was in Paris when my father was sick, I stayed at the home of the sister of the bassist Reggie Workman.  Small world.

Last but not least in a female pianist and singer Patricia Barber, the Cole Porter Mix CD.  I like to think of Patricia as my personal "Diana Krall" in that I like her rendering of standards and her own originals.



Until next week, enjoy.


No comments: