Sunday, August 9, 2015

Sunday Music Muse Day - Wes Montgomery, Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny.

This week's Sunday Music Muse Day selections are a comparison, and a tribute.  I picked up Wes Montgomery: Road Song CD of the classic CTI album produced by Creed Taylor.  Of course this should be in every jazz lover's collection if nothing else for the title tune and the iconic album cover.  But must say I sort of prefer the small group recordings from the "Wes Montgomery, In the beginnings" collection I picked up several weeks ago.  Maybe it's the energy of the live, small club settings.  In any case, I'll be listening to them both for a long time to come.


This coming week, July 11, will be the first anniversary of the passing the great Jazz bassist, Charlie Haden (August 6, 1937 – July 11, 2014).  In his honor I would like to present one of my (and my wife's) favorite recording, period, the duet outing of out of Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny - Beyond the Missouri Sky.  Haden was awarded his first Grammy award for the album, for Best Jazz Instrumental Performance.  That not withstanding, this CD is truly  amazing.  I can't recommend to this too highly. 




Give, and share, this with everyone you care about.  It is music for the soul, pure and simple.  Not to be morbid, but I told my wife this is what I want to be played at my wake.  The music is so introspective, and calming, and at the same time uplifting, it would be my final gift to friends and family.  Enjoy.

No comments: